The English Lute Song database is a project I initiated while researching lute songs for my dissertation at UNC Chapel Hill. I realized shortly after beginning that the lack of bibliographic control would present a challenge to scholars doing research in the field and began a Microsoft Access database of lute songs, printed books, composers, and publishers.

After courses in database management and content representation at Drexel University, I decided that the open source software MySQL was a better option for maintaining my database and resolved to transfer the DB to MySQL and make the database public for use by other students and scholars.

Thanks to the Music Library Association's Walter Gerboth Award, I have been able to create a web-enabled database accessible to the public.